[OPE-L:8295] Re: Milios et al, "Karl Marx and the Classics"

From: jmilios@hol.gr
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 15:24:29 EST

Paul, you write:

i) "why didn't Marx, on the eighth page, call the reader's attention to
his project [as you describe it] of 'theoretically recasting' of that
supposedly Ricardian value?";
ii) the CHANGES by Marx represented by the three editions of Vol. 1;

My view is that Marx's CAPITAL does not present an analysis of
different "models" of "themes" (first the "simple commodity production", then
the "capitalist commodity", etc.). It has a unique object of study, the
capitalist mode of production, which Marx approaches on different levels of
abstraction, i.e. in a process of gradual clarification-concretisation. In this
process, he always starts from a commonly accepted definition of the notions
under discussion. That is why he makes the Ricardian version of value as his
point of departure. However, he does not restrict himself to this initial
definition ... (A small example: In Ch. 1 of Vol. 1, in Sec. 4. “The Elementary
Form of value considered as a whole”, he writes: “When, at the beginning of
this chapter, we said, IN COMMON PARLANCE, that a commodity is both a use-value
and an exchange-value, we were, accurately speaking, wrong”. Or in respect to
use-value: After having accepted as a point of departure the common-sense idea
of a “useful thing”, he later clarified “that the product must be not only
useful, but useful for others”, etc.). Only by taking into consideration his
whole analysis we may draw our conclusions. Besides, I do believe that he
called his readers' attention on this matter, as he repeatedly mentioned (even
in the very first page of Vol. 1, before having spoken about capital and
surplus value) that the products of labour become commodities in "those
societies in which the capitalist mode of production prevails". (More
emphatically, a few pages after, Marx stresses: "The value form of the product
of labour is the most abstract, but also the most general form of the bourgeois
mode of production", Vol. 1, p. 174).

iii) "labor power" as a MAJOR new theoretical concept distinguishing Marx
from Ricardo;

I agree that this is indeed a major point of difference. However it is not THE
major point, as I have tried to show. Besides, one may implicitly find this
notion in Ricardo's (and Smith's) analysis: When the Classic economists claim
that the value of "labour" (the wage) equals the value of the worker's means of
subsistence, it is clear that they speak about something different from the
quantity of labour expended by the worker.

iv) the fact of total working hours of workers compared to the time
required to produce subsistence needs (a fact which you say cannot be
described by 'values' even in the simplest of capitalist reproduction).

I think that this shall not be regarded an analysis on the level of value, but
on a higher level of abstraction: that of labour and surplus-labour, which
characterises every mode of production, not only the CMP, as Marx warns his
readers. The analysis on this specific level of abstraction is necessary, in
order for the readers to comprehend that surplus value (which appears as
profit) signifies surplus labour. However, the tribute paid by the peasant
communities to the emperor of China or to the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire (eg.
the tenth of their wheat production, etc.) was also the product of surplus
labour. Paraphrasing your statement, I may say that indeed the total working
hours of those peasants (the direct producers in the specific mode of
production) were actually significantly more compared to the time required to
produce subsistence needs. This does not mean, however, that they produced
commodities or surplus value. To analyse capitalism we have to move further, to
the specific forms of appearance of surplus labour and surplus product.

 Finally you stated:
 "Taking your argument to the extreme, surplus value cannot be measured and
so we don't even know if profit is associated with surplus value (Steedman
or no Steedman) or the color of grapefruits. Surplus value becomes a
mystery".

No, I think that we know what surplus value is (the specifically capitalist
type of surplus labour, more exactly, the notion of a historically specific
social relation of exploitation which manifests itself as profit [not as
tribute, feudal compulsory labour, etc.]) which CAN BE MEASURED (empirically)
only on the level of its form of appearance (in monetary units).

A last point concerning the "measurability" of surplus value: As we know from
Marxist theory (Lenin, Marx, ...) capitalism is not only a system of economic
exploitation but also of political suppression, that is of political power of
the capitalist class over the working classes of the society. How do
you "measure" political power and suppression? By the number of the army's
cannons, the policemen's guns or by the number of schools, churches and tv-
channels? And if we cannot "measure" it, does that mean that it does not exist?
I am afraid that behind the imperative of "measurability" of social relations
one may find the ideology of individualism.

Cheers,

John Milios