[OPE-L:8296] Re: Milios et al, "Karl Marx and the Classics"

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@buffalo.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 19:50:21 EST

John,

On i) below, I don't think we'll make much progress.  The citations are too
indecisive to settle the issue and those who have Ricardian reading of Marx
won't be bothered.

On ii), I think you miss my point.  Your co-authored book claims that Marx
in the mid-1860s moved in some instances toward a Ricardian position but by
the time of Volume 1 he moved back to his 1859 position.  What I was doing
was challenging you to sustain your position by examining how Marx REVISED
Volume 1 between 1867 and 1875.  I don't know the answer to my own question
regarding value -- I was hoping you'd have explored that evidence (it's not
in your book) as well as the Notes on Wagner which have a lot on value.

I myself am very much interested in the distinction between Ricardo and
Marx -- that's why I got your book from inter-library loan.  I completely
agree with you that Capital is about the capitalist mode of production (I
thought I made that clear when I agreed that value only applies to this
mode of production).

Your reply to iii) is conditional upon i) and ii).  If I were to become
convinced of your position then of course the introduction of 'labor
concept' would be less significant.  Recall that Marx considered the
exchange value of labor power by far the most important exchange
transaction in capitalism, yet you seem to claim that it could at best be
measured in a distorted way through its monetary expression.  "Distortion"
leaves A LOT OF ROOM for this and that and what not.

By the way, there are many OTHER new concepts in Marx, like productions of
absolute and of relative surplus value, concepts which do not appear in
Ricardo.  We don't have to go your route to demonstrate the distinction
between Marx and Ricardo.  I wish your book at least had dealt with the
significance, or lack thereof, of 'labor power' as a new concept.

On iv) and to the end, are you claiming people like myself to be
individualist when you write: "behind the imperative of "measurability" of
social relations one may find the ideology of individualism"?  If so, I
reject the accusation.  First, I don't suggest the measurability of "social
relations" but rather of "value" and "surplus value" (stopwatch or no
stopwatch).  Second, I'm much influenced by Althusser and Luxemburg and I
don't see how the charge is sustainable against them, particularly not
against Luxemburg (if she is individualistic, then it is all over for
Marxism).  Third, there are places all around Marx where he gives numerical
examples of surplus value which clearly suggests that Marx himself is not
opposing measurablility.  Now, of course, Marx himself may be less than the
best Marxist from the point of view of your argumentation and that could be
fair enough, except that you don't suggest the need to "correct" Marx for
an adequate theoretical understanding of the capitalist mode of production
(while Luxemburg did so suggest).

Cheers, Paul Z.