Re: (OPE-L) dreams and nightmares

From: Christopher Arthur (cjarthur@WAITROSE.COM)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 08:02:29 EDT

And I say I agree with Riccardo. (And also Fred)
But this illustrates also why I was, and remain, opposed  to a public
archive. I would like to hear a discussion and particpate but I do not want
to word things as carefully as I would in a letter to the press.
Chris A

>At 11:22 -0600 16-05-2003, Hans Ehrbar wrote:
>>In the times of imperialist attack on Cuba I consider it the
>>duty of every progressive either to support Cuba or, if you
>>feel you cannot do this, to stay silent, because everything
>>critical you say at this moment will be used as further
>>pretext for the attacks on Cuba.  The actions by the Cubans
>>which you object to were undertaken as a defense against US
>>attacks.  We have to try to stop the imperialists, instead
>>of second-guessing the actions Cuba is undertaking to defend
>>itself.  This seems so obvious to me that I am embarrassed
>>to send it to this list.  I am only saying it for the record
>>so that people perusing the archives will not get a false
>>impression.
>>
>>Hans.
>

>hans, four (no, five) things:
>
>(i) we decided to 'open' the list, so we decided to make debates
>openly. if we don't want that, we should close the list. or Jerry
>should open some parallel, closed site to discuss openly among
>comrades this kind of stuff.
>
>(ii) 'to stay silent'? I don't know why, but I have heard this kind
>of things many many times. I don't like the expression: neither the
>form nor the substance.
>
>(iii) I strongly support Cuba against US attacks. I repeat: strongly.
>And I condemn any 'pretext' to attack Cuba. But I do not justify the
>actions undertaken by Cuba, as you do. By the way, they are giving
>USA more 'pretexts'. There is a dissent among us on this. You cannot
>take your opinion as granted. I respect it, but mine is very
>different.
>
>(iv) in my mind (and unfortunately I can think only with my mind, and
>speak accordingly) what I said in prior mail is exactly the most
>friendly approach to Cuba, it' s the only way I see to support Cuba:
>avoid (or insist in) serious and dramatic errors. there is no
>second-guessing. those actions are patently wrong, are against what
>communism (at least, libertarian communism) is and should be, as end
>and as means.
>
>(v) should I say that those who do not understand this are really
>working against Cuba, and should then stay silent? it's not my
>attitude, frankly. I am interested in listening their opinions and
>arguments.

17 Bristol Road, Brighton, BN2 1AP, England