Re: (OPE-L) dreams and nightmares

From: Paul Bullock (paulbullock@EBMS-LTD.CO.UK)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 10:29:43 EDT

Nicola,

Since you ask, I read Koestler when I was 16 as a matter of  fact.... and
the yellowed copy is still on my shelf....... quite a while ago. It created
a sense of concen in me that lead me to read much in the area, continuously,
up and through Solzhenitsyn,  and even Oleg Gordievsy's 'faction' ... so
don't worry about all that... my 'morality' awareness level is very high...
not at all the vulgar or blood thirsty cynic.

What I am avers to is your promotion of abstract moral principal in the face
of actual practical danger. You might wish to die rather than kill your
attacker for example... I would not. Cruel no doubt, but in war ( and the US
establishment has openly said that it is now waging the fourth world war),
matters are not so easily morally cut and dried. One might try to take
prisoners, but, this has to depend on circumstances. Once again, I think it
striking that you refuse to think that the Cuban government has as much
'conscience' as you do...For my part I am sure it has it has a striking
level of moral sensibility compared to the regions other states, however, it
has huge responsibilities that you do not. Indeed your notes seem to me to
imply that the Cuban Government is morally lacking, which I consider, if you
will excuse me, arrogant, if unwittingly so.... The facts, as the recent
illustrations in OPE-L from Amnesty on both Cuba and neighbouring countries
show, provide a 'coherent' (and brilliantly illustrated ) moral comparison
in favour of  Cuban justice.

The level of working class discussion and participation in politics in Cuba
is far greater than in the imperialist countries... your references to
'freedom' elsewhere are entirely devoid of any concrete sense, or awareness
of issues of  social class. Marx was quite correct in refering to the need
for a 'holding down' of bourgeoise trends and demands once the working
people were building their own state. Before the dollar was introduced into
the legal system in Cuba there wqas a mass discussion in work places,
schools, etc in the process of evolving policy. Of course in Cuba the
'freedom' to speculate in property is denied,  perhaps you would like the
'freedom' to argue for  the re-establishment of private property in the
housing market Nicky? Perhaps the right to argue for a stock exchange where
rights to exploit your 'own' labour force could be sold to other 'free'
persons? After all the  tolerance of new bourgeoise parties, funded by the
criminal US State and Miami investors eager to 'improve' the economy, ie
line their own pockets at the expense of society, would demand such rights
immedaitely.  Well I do really hope that that 'freedom' continues to be
denied, Nicky.

Paul Bullock