Re: (OPE-L) Re: The Church-Turing thesis

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 06:27:02 EST

Ian,

Many thanks.

It seems we agree on the nature of Godel's theorem. However, your
conclusion that dialectical logic should aspire to formalism despite
no single formal system encompassing all true maths statements
(let alone other statements) doesn't seem quite right from the
perspective of dialectical logic. As a sublation of formal logic,
dialectical logic recognises the limits of formal logic, and goes
beyond them. This means that formalism is used as and where
necessary (to recognise limits is not to reject) but that the
fundamental point of dialectical logic is recognition that formal logic
is only a limited branch of logic and of knowledge more broadly.

To delve into waters about which I am still less familiar, I seem to
remember stumbling across a Chaitin paper on the web. Wasn't
there some argument to the effect that a formal system has only as
much info content as its' axioms? The world has more content than
any finite set of axioms hence formalism is inherently limited? I'm
sure I have this horribly wrong but one way or another isn't this once
more an indication of the limits of formalism not an argument for
aspiring to formalism?

You make the distinction between formal logic and computation.
Indeed your point that formal logic is 'useless' for certain aspects of
robot building supports the above line of thinking. What is the
essential difference between computation and formal logic?

Taking your more broad discussion, it is difficult to respond since I
know so little about computation etc. (as indicated by my question
above). Clearly there is a need to relate the developments you
describe to materialist dialectics. A job of relating 'systems theory'
to materialist dialectics has been done by Levins in Science and
Society 1998, 62, 3. I wonder if this has any bearing on your
concerns?

There must be something important in the developments you
describe but I guess I would see their significance differently to the
interpretation you have suggested. For one thing 'colonising' the
bourgeois academic disciplines is no sign of health! Consider neo-
classical economics! More substantially, whilst I think there are
great problems in critical realism it has at least popularised the
concept of 'emergence' [really the transormation of quantitative into
qualitative change], which is enough to establish that human society
and psychology are emergent from the micro-processes which
computation theory and AI etc. dwells upon. As such the study of
psychology and society does not require the study of such micro
processes; rather the study of society and psychology should entail
the study of the specifc mode of production. This puts the research
you refer to -- its appropriate goals and wider significance -- in a
different light to that which its practitioners see it.

Sorry if the above is a bit random.

Thanks again,

Andy