(OPE-L) Re: The Church-Turing thesis

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 08:33:24 EST

Hi again Andy.

> Do many scientists have a clear grasp of the notion of 'mental capacity'?
> Science seems to have been slow in relating it to the social relations
> of production, to labour.

Scientists often have a socially naive perspective that their
role is to "advance knowledge".   A (progressive) minority
comprehend how their intellectual labor generally serves an agenda
shaped by capital and/or the state.  The percentage of
scientists who have meaningful "relative autonomy" over their
research agenda and the terms and conditions of their employment
is, I believe, small indeed.

The grasp of scientists of 'mental capacity' is also related to their
professional training and education in which particular philosophic
and ideological  concepts of science and the role of the individual
are advanced.

[Digression:
One 'mental capacity' of our species is the capacity for humor.
There are many types of labor (e.g. teaching), and other forms of social
interaction, that are enriched by this capacity.  Computational
ability can not replicate this capacity except in the most primitive
form (e.g. puns). Comedians and actors, including (most) teachers, need
not worry that their labor will be performed by machines.]

In solidarity, Jerry