(OPE-L) RE: logical order and historical order

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 07:58:22 EST

Re: (OPE-L) logical order and historical orderHi Howard

>>> You say that the issue we discuss is the ordering of a reconstruction of the subject matter in thought.  My point is that the order of the ordering must follow the real character of the object, not the dictates of thought.  That point is glossed over in the simple pairing of logic and history. <<<

I'm still trying to gauge the extent to which we agree and
disagree.

Let's recall that in this thread  I have been responding to
a position suggested by Rakesh in a post dated 2/6 in which
he asserted that the ordering of  Marx's dialectical analysis
(actually, its *presentation*) follows "the actual historical
movement".  I *agree with you* that logic and history shouldn't
be simply paired -- indeed, that was the main point I have
been trying to make.

[NB: in a post responding to Rakesh, dated 2/11, I mentioned
"Vorstellung".  Note that in the "Introduction" to the
_Grundrisse_ where Marx explains what is wrong with the
starting point of the population he writes that "this would be a
chaotic conception [Vorstellung] of the whole .... "(Nicolaus
translation, p. 100).  There is also a reference to "Vorstellung"
in the _Critique of Hegel's 'Philosophy of Right' (Cambridge,
CUP, 1970, p. 69).  In the latter context, it is written as part
of a critique of Hegel's concept of the state: for Hegel "the
state is a mere representation [eine blosse Vorstellung]"
(emphasis in original, JL).]

You suggest that the ordering must follow the real character
of the object.  Yes.  But, how is that done? It is done through
the reconstruction of the subject matter (the "object") in
thought.  It is not done through a ordering that matches the
historical appearance of the categories.

>>>  For example, we abstract from the state form and present forms of production first because the determinations of the state form are less "simple."  Forms of state depend on how surplus value is pumped out.  This is not a matter of how we order things in thought, but of how the world works.   <<<

"The way the world works" can only be comprehended in
thought.  There is no other way.

In solidarity, Jerry