Re: (OPE-L) RE: logical order and historical order

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 12:28:34 EST

Re: (OPE-L) logical order and historical orderHi Jerry and Andrew

Sorry for the delay in reply, Jerry.  For some reason I missed your response in my mail, but picked it up from the archives.

You say that the issue we discuss is the ordering of a reconstruction of the subject matter in thought.  My point is that the order of the ordering must follow the real character of the object, not the dictates of thought.  That point is glossed over in the simple pairing of logic and history.  For example, we abstract from the state form and present forms of production first because the determinations of the state form are less "simple."  Forms of state depend on how surplus value is pumped out.  This is not a matter of how we order things in thought, but of how the world works.

In this respect Andrew, I share your attentions.  One of the most important points I took from my reading of Ilyenkov was the Hegelian point that what we make and what we do is an expresssion of how we think. (though not only how we think, since matter offers its own resistances).  But it by no means follows that there is an identity between the way we think about the subject matter, or order our thinking about it, and the way the subject matter actually is.

Howard