Re: the death of Jacques Derrida

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 00:26:57 EDT

Having once read some work by Derrida (the essay that I found quite
ingenious was the one on the US Constitution, and his recent
commentary on host/guest or citizen/immigrant relations is also quite
interesting, perhaps in part because of his own Algerian origins), I
can recommend the lucid chapter on him in Gary Gutting's French
Philosophy in the Twentieth Century. The short comment on Althusser
in this otherwise excellent book is however annoyingly superficial
and dismissive. Gutting also does not comment (if I remember
correctly) on Derrida's book on Marx, though there are two
collections of essays in English, one edited by Stephen C. and one by
the late Michael Sprinker.
rb