Re: (OPE-L) Robinson and Marx

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 13:10:46 EST

> some adjective which add nothing to content: insidious, for example.
> But the substance is right.  <<<
>
> Riccardo,
>
> What are you saying?  You seem to be agreeing  with him that
> her critique of marginal productivity theory "certainly does not compensate
> for her [...] attempt to vanquish [...] Marx by making him appear as a
> proto Keynesian."  This is an unbelievably narrow assessment of
> the contribution of Robinson to economic theory -- especially the
> _critique_ of economic theory.   Just think of all of the other
> contributions
> that she made to theory!  That she should have taken a critical standpoint
> towards Marx -- something that we should _all_ do, Marxists
> _especially_ --  is not cause for asserting that on balance she made
> a negative contribution to thought.
>
> In solidarity, Jerry

I agree with you, Jerry.  My own exit from neoclassical economics was
greatly contributed to by the Cambridge (UK) critique of neoclassical
capital theory and she was of course a major part of that.  Furthermore,
since I knew her personally a bit and got her to the ILO in the mid-70s --
which eventually resulted in her development book which the ILO refused to
publish because it was too radical, I know directly that she had a
wide-ranging impact on stimulating critical economics among many
economists and non-economists.

Joan Robinson is DEFINITELY the kind of economist with whom we need to
build alliances or we will be worth nothing except our own narcissism.

Paul