Re: [OPE-L] Chavez and Trotsky

From: Paul Bullock (paulbullock@EBMS-LTD.CO.UK)
Date: Sat Dec 11 2004 - 16:43:10 EST

Gerry, I am sure you understood that I was speaking of landless labour - the
'informal' sector - your remark re poor peasants  seems to me pointless in
the context. In any case poor peasants have been   leaving the land by the
millions globally every month  for many years, forced into a position of
jobless workers.

Of course prisoners are, on the whole, of the working class. The
specifically extortionate exploitation that they are forced to endure in
prison work regimes simply underlines the fact. As for small time drug
dealers then here we have another example of the absolutely crushing moral
and physical effect that imperialism has upon a section of the working
class. Each of the categories you choose live generally by turning upon
other workers, immitating the worst petty bourgeoise prejudices, rather than
organising against their condition. They have no 'class consciousness' in
revolutionary sense. All have a common real enemy.

Paul B