Re: [OPE-L] Fw: [OPE-L] Marx's Form of Analysis

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 21:03:43 EST

Michael Eldred has presented very clearly the essential motivating idea used
by early value form theory.  I think, however, this rests on
misunderstanding not only what Marx was about, but how he used Aristotle.

Michael says that the originators of value form analysis pointed out the
ambiguities and unsureness in Marx's treatment of the value form.  The
source of that he argues rests in "attributing a so-called value substance
to labour-content."  This argument has its source in the original article
appearing in English from Backhaus.  I've quoted a significant excerpt
below.

What is missing from Michael's report and from Backhaus's original
presentation is the Aristotelian distinction between substance insofar as it
refers to the objects of the world like a horse or a bed or Socrates and
substance as primary substance.  The horse is a substance to which
properties can be attributed -- the horse is white.  But primary substance,
the nature or essence of a horse, is that which constitutes the horse as the
kind of thing it is.  It is the organizing principle that accounts for the
development and peristence and functioning of the thing.  Aristotle arrived
at the distinction here very much by asking the question which Marx seems to
have appropriated from him (not the only one) -- 'why does this content
assume that form.'

When Michael says, therefore, that

"Marx tries to have it both ways by on the one hand emphasizing the forms
(the being!) of value that arise through exchange, and on the other hand
asserting that this exchange value is reducible (lit. can be led back to) an
inherent value substance residing in labour content (a causal explanation of
the magnitude of value)"

the distinction Marx took over from Aristotle is missed.  Michael continues,
"there is no inherent value substance."  This is like saying we can
understand Socrates without making precise what it is for Socrates to be
human.

Today's critical scientific realism would present the question as an effort
to specify the real definition of a natural kind.  We can ask what the
generative structures are that characterize a thing and cause its
persistence as the kind of thing it is.

Marx refers to value as substance in the first sections of Capital in order
to uncover its nature or essence -- the primary substance of it.  This is
its constitutive form.  Then in Section 3 he takes up the necessary forms of
its manifestation, the actual forms under which it appears.

Implicitly Michael seems to be treating value as if it were an attribute of
a thing, something that makes goods valuable in the sense of a property they
have.  But this is not Marx's problematic.  Marx is not concerned with the
properties goods have but with the forms labor takes.  He is concerned to
specify the form of labor that constitutes the product of labor as a
commodity.

Thus the decisive social metabolism with which Marx was concerned is not the
metabolism of exchange -- the limits of Aristotle's investigation -- but a
metabolism of the forms of labor.   The tendency to miss this difference has
been an abiding problem of value form theory in spite of the rigor and value
of so much of its work.

It follows that for Marx 'people's abilities' always occur within a specific
social form and it is the potency and power of that form which Marx looks to
trace.

Here is an important excerpt from Backhaus's original article.  After
quoting Marx's decisive question, 'why this content assumes that form,'
Backhaus writes:

"The defective mediation of substance and form of value is already expressed
in the fact that in the development of value a gap can be shown.  The
transition from the second to the third section of the first chapter is no
longer sensible as a necessary transition.  What strikes the reader,
therefore, is the apparently easily understood theory of value-substance and
the double character of labour, which is unfolded in the first two sections.
The third section, however, the theory of the value-form, is mostly
understood only as an additional proof or as a 'dialectical' ornament of
what was plainly already derived in the first sections. . . . Marx's
analysis of the commodity, then, presents itself as an unmediated jump from
the simple to the complicated, from the substance to the form of appearance.
The essence is defined, in contrast to the form of appearance, in a formal,
logical way, as the universal, typical and principal.  The mediation of
essence and form of appearance can only be construed as a pseudo-dialectical
movement of pseudo-dialectical contradiciton. . . . "

howard