[OPE-L] today's critical scientific realism

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 08:49:23 EST

> Today's critical scientific realism would present the question as an
> effort to specify the real definition of a natural kind.  We can ask
> what the generative structures are that characterize a thing and
> cause its persistence as the kind of thing it is.

Hi Howard:

Perhaps, but some critical realists it seems don't see the merit in
examining Marx's theories today.  Thus, see the discussion on the
critical-realism list re Han's annotations beginning with George
Moore's remarks on February 5
http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/bhaskar/2005m02/msg00001.htm ]
but quickly  erupting into flames with Tahir's post on 2/7 followed
by the thread "tahir - a jerk?".

Does the question "why should we read Marx in 2005?" represent a
division among critical realists (left-wing vs. not-so-left-wing?) or a case
of critical realists vs. non-critical realists on the critical-realism list?

In solidarity, Jerry