Re: [OPE-L] Enrique D. Dussel's writings online

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 11:22:53 EDT

At 9:08 -0400 5-04-2005, Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM wrote:

>Most of the books and articles are in Spanish, but there are over two dozen
>articles in English, including several on Marx. E.g. "Hegel, Schelling and
>Surplus Value": <
><http://168.96.200.17/ar/libros/dussel/artics/hegel.pdf>http://168.96.200.17/ar/libros/dussel/artics/hegel.pdf >
>(NB: it says 'forthcoming in 2004';  has it been published yet?)

This paper looks very similar, if not identical, to one presented at
a conference in Naples in May 2004. The proceedings are going to be
published in Italian soon by manifestolibri edited by Marcello Musto,
who I guess is looking for an English publisher. But I guess Dussel
presented that paper many times again and again.

Frankly, I think that one has not to choose between the relevance of
the abstract vs. concrete labour couple and objectified vs. living
labour couple. Both are crucial.

Whatever Marx said or wrote or thought, I guess it is true that the
notion of living labour is fundamental, and underrated in most
Marxian thought (at least before the Grundrisse came to be known).
The distinction would have helped to articulate better the notions of
abstract and concrete labour themselves.

The real problem is another one, that Dussel, who is a very serious
scholar, equates living labour with the pauper ante festum, the
worker as "poor", basic in being creative outside capital, and this
is an error. In my view, he loses the crucial notion of labour as the
"internal other", to quote Chris Arthur.

This is why he has to go back (in all the meaning of this back: that
is, it a retrocession, a step back) to Schelling.

rb

--

Riccardo Bellofiore
Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche