Re: [OPE-L] Why aren't non-labourers sources of value?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 15:15:11 EDT

At 1:47 AM +1000 4/8/05, Nicola Taylor wrote:
>  Frankly, I envy the whale.

This envy is very reactionary, as Cassirer long ago noted

There does seem to be the sense that the technology
which man has invented in order to subjugate the physical world has turned
against him.  many seem to think that technology has not only led to
heightened self alienation but ultimately to a kind of self loss of human
existence. The tool, which appeared to provide the fufillment of human
needs, has seemingly instead created countless artificial needs.  Each
perfecting of the technological culture is, and remains, in this discourse a
truly treacherous gift. So there is a yearning for primitive, unbroken,
immediate existence; and the more numerous the areas of life taken over by
technology.

There is jealousy of the lower animals each of which is completely adapted
to its environment that it rests in it as quietly and securely as a baby in
its crib. But this calmness comes to an end-as soon as we enter the
human spehere. Each animal
species is firmly bound as it were to the circuit of its needs and drives;
it has no other world than that which is prescribed for it by its instincts.
   Within this world there is no wavering and no transgression; the limits of
instinct offer at the same time the greatest security. No human knowledge
and no human action can ever finds its way back to this kind of
unequestionable existence and unquestionable uncertainty,

Some long for the reality and immediacy of natural existence.  And so
they undermine the active side of humanity in a way which will erode
the capacities for action and creation in a decaying world.

For instead of being moved immediately by stimulus, a human looks to
'possible' needs, for which he prepares the means of satisfaction in
advance. For example, in order to invent a tool, a human must look beyond
the sphere of immediate need. A human cannot act from impulse and the
necessity of the moment. We must place something not yet existing before
ourselves in 'images' in order, then to proceed from this 'possibility' to
the reality, from potency to act.

It is to the erosion of this quintessential human capacity that
differentiates even the worst architect from a bee.