Re: [OPE-L] Why aren't non-labourers sources of value?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 15:31:29 EDT

At 2:58 PM -0400 4/7/05, glevy@PRATT.EDU wrote:
>  > I am not saying animals are unintelligent, just that they are not as
>>  intelligent as humans, they have not reached the level where they can
>>  make their needs and wants an object, developing themselves and the
>>  object.
>
>Hi again Andy (and welcome back to the discussion Nicky!),
>
>The oft-repeated claim that humans are the most intelligent species
>is an expression of what I mentioned previouly -- human chauvinism.
>There is no such certainty on the part of the scientific community --
>indeed, an examination of imprecise, indirect 'objective' indicators
>of intelligence such as brain size might lead one to conclude that
>most species of whales are _more_ intelligent than human beings!

Are we to deny unique human capacities in order to ensure that there
is no basis for the claim of human superiority?

>  It
>is not the scientific community which posits with an air of certainty
>the dogma that humans are the most intelligent (and therefore allegedly
>'superior') species -- it is (most) religious communities!  It is
>also a very 'Western' cultural conception which is alien to the way
>in which most other cultures viewed the relation of humans to other
>animals.

Perhaps we should look at Tim Ingold's book on What is an Animal? Of
course the very universal animal may itself be a historical creation.
I think Luria tried to show this?

>>  However, I suspect the
>>  development of language arises with the development of productive
>>  activity of labour, hence of tools so non tool-makers are likely to have
>>  limited (*not* non-existent) language.
>
>There seems to be agreement by rersearchers in the field that belugas
>have a language.  There is no reason to suppose that it necessarily
>arose as a consequence of whale productive activity.  I doubt if your
>claim about the origins of language for humans can be supported either,
>but that is another matter.

yes the question of animal language is as Jerry underlines a very
real one. Sue Rumbaugh and Stuart Shanker seem to be two of important
people we'll need to read.

Yours, Rakesh