Re: [OPE-L] Why aren't non-labourers sources of value? creativity

From: Ian Hunt (Ian.Hunt@FLINDERS.EDU.AU)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 23:51:22 EDT

Dear Rakesh,
I think you have not understood my point- sorry for not expressing it
clearly. I agree there is conflict between slaves/serfs and their
masters. I agree that in slave commodity production, surplus value is
produced. Labour time also plays a role. However, the drive for
relative surplus value present in capitalism, with a salient role for
labour displacing technical change, would not be part of the dynamic
of slave commodity production. Capital in this form can afford to be
technically lazy, since necessary labour time is set at the master's
command, not through competition between labourers in the market
place. Obviously, I did not mean for you to extrapolate from my words
that there is a more fundamental difference between industrial
capitalism and others forms of capitalism based on slavery, merchant
or financial capital than the above.
cheers,
ian

--
Associate Professor Ian Hunt,
Head, Dept  of Philosophy, School of Humanities,