Re: [OPE-L] Why aren't non-labourers sources of value? creativity

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 10:58:13 EDT

At 4:05 PM +1030 4/18/05, Ian Hunt wrote:
>Dear Rakesh,
>Your comments raise more issues than I can cope with at present. I
>will give your more far reaching comments on wage-labour some
>thought.
>I now have only one small comment. I don't think your definition of
>value will work. Why can't there be value without unpaid labour? Why
>not value without wage labour?

Your objection is of course valid. By value I meant self expanding
value, systematic increase of value in circulation.  This could
indeed obtain through self exploitation, through no alien
appropriation of labor time, though no wage labor.

But I doubt it. Small proprietors, peasants have no compulsion to
alienate at value; they may market only surplus products to diversify
consumption. Value need not regulate the C-M-C circuit. However a
capitalist has to sell approximately at least at value as a condition
of viability. Otherwise he will not have the means or incentive to
maintain the production on which society depends. Value becomes the
aim of production when it is unpaid labor time that the capitalist
aims to appropriate in the form of money from the sale of commodities
produced by means of wage labor.

I grant that there is at least one problem with my definition. The
Skillman problem. We do have value without unpaid labor in the case
where merchants buy at value in one place and sell at value in
another place. The pure mercantile circuit of capital.  Value  can
live an interstitial life  without wage and unpaid labor. In  this
case there would also be no systematic increase of the value in
circulation.

>  What you offer as the definition of 'value' I would take as (or as
>close to) the definition of the  capital - wage labour social
>relation of production. I don't regard monopoly as a difficulty for
>my definition (nor do I regard rent as a difficulty either). Most
>monopoly is only partial. Where it is total ( a perfect natural
>monopoly) you have an anomaly in capitalist commodity production:
>which accords with how capitalists in general view it but also
>accords with the thought that socially necessary labour time has
>little content in such a case either,

Yes,  my objection is not compelling. I like this last point, too.
Why is it that we have to make and do in fact make socially valid
judgements such as price of a thing does not accord with its value
(as if value is in fact a property of a thing). In the thought
experiment of a fully automated economy, it does not seem that people
would continue to speak of the value of things being or not being in
accord with their respective prices, though there could be
"equilibrium" exchange values or even prices, solutions for a set of
simultaneous equations. But it would not be important for anyone to
make socially valid judgements about whether market prices were in
accord with the respective values of things. Things would no longer
be understood to possess value.  The practical discourse of value
would disappear, I think. But I am not sure.  This suggests to me
that value is a practical discourse, a set of necessary illusions for
the organization of social labor when people  relate primarily
through commodities.

Yours, Rakesh