Re: [OPE-L] Why aren't non-labourers sources of value?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 15:33:39 EDT

To the below I should add that I am interested in Enrique Dussel's
attempts to rethink history from the perspective of what he calls the
underside of modernity. This means a break from Marx as he is an
inheritor of a Hegelian theory of history. So there is the question
of McCarney opposed to Dussel. I heard Dussel speak yesterday; he is
amazingly erudite and very gracious in the reception of criticism. A
lot of people were putting hard questions to him about his conception
of exteriority--whether he had posited it as impossibly pure and
uncontaminated. As Riccardo noted, he is a true and profound scholar
both in terms of what he has written and in his own comportment in
debate.

. Part of the reason for the failure to understand this may come from
the underlying progressivist liberal belief that capitalism can be
understood as a higher stage in the unfolding drama of human freedom.
I haven't read McCarney's defense of Hegel's theory of history yet,
but I doubt that I shall be persuaded!