Re: [OPE-L] Why aren't non-labourers sources of value?

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 17:13:53 EDT

Thanks Rakesh,

I had in mind simply the overall mode of production (slave or feudal or capitalist), rather than individual relations and activities within any given mode.The world of difference between selling a labourer (slavery) and selling labour-power (capitalism) is to be considered at the level of the overall mode of production, and by no means rules out the functionality of slave production at the indiviudal level within a capitalist mode of production (it does rule out slavery becoming the prevalent and dominant form of production with capitalism). You give very important examples of the existience and functioning of slave production *within* the capitalist mode of production but this is a different matter from consideration of the slave mode of production as such  (where capital has no general hold of production and no general existence). Re. allocation, then we certainly may consider how slave production *within*capitalism responds to price signals.

My argument is that labour, in *all* societies, is not fixed by the external material constraints, nor internal structure of the labourers. In all societies we can distinguish between the power to labour and the actual labor done, noting the unique creative productivity of labour. However, in slave and feudal societies labour *is* pretty much fixed by the prevalent social relations. In the slave mode the labourer it is treated as a talking animal and in the feudal mode peasants are bound to their plot of land (to put it very crudely). The fluid creativity of labour remains little more than a potential in such societies.

It must be painfully obvious that I'm no expert on world history, btw, and so apolgies in advance and I look forward to be being corrected!

Andy