Re: [OPE-L] Marxist Political Economy in Australia Since the Mid 1970s

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@UFPR.BR)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 14:49:22 EDT

Heinrich, regarding the issue of "critique of political economy" I usually say
to my students that Marx wants to show how the workings of the capitalism system
create at the same time erroneous, mistified or false aprehensions about it.
Usually this occurs because appearance is taken to be the totallity of the
subject. This is clear in vol. II of Capital where to each of the circuit of
capital Marx associates one school of thought: the circuit of commodity capital
to the Phisiocrats; the circuit of productive capital to Classical Political
Economy, whereas in fact capital is all 3 circuits at once. Capital appears in
many forms. If we fixate our attention in one of them we have a partial view of
what capital really is.
The way I understand your point is this: Marx´s analisys is at the same time an
analysis of what capital is and since what capital is includes how it presents
itself to the eye, then the analysis of capital must of necessity be at the same
time an analysis of how its forms of appearance constitute the basis for all
sorts of mistifications.
Therefore a positive theory of capitalism cannot but be at the same time a
critique of political economy.
If this is what you have suggested in your post I agree completely.
Paulo