Re: [OPE-L] faux frais and the armaments industry

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 19:07:58 EDT

Are we debating whether there can be a difference (to take a note
from Gil Skillman) between activities that yield surplus value
(privately appropriated) and activities that actually increase the
total value in circulation, increase the pool of surplus value from
which all capitalists draw? Is Paul C's point that an activity can do
the former while not doing the latter? Is Diego's point that the
important difference is between surplus value and revenue, so that an
arms mfg who sells to the state has marketed a value while if the
state had built the weapon itself, it would have only expended
revenue. Though end product is same, the laborers in the first
instance productive but unproductive in the latter case.

All this said, I have a request for vocabulary help. What is the name
of the argumentative strategy which attempts to limit the over-claims
of two contradictory sides? I have been racking my mind, and can't
remember. Question has no relevance to above debate. If anyone can
help, thanks so much.

Yours, Rakesh