Re: [OPE-L] [Andy Blunden re] darstellung in Hegel and Marx

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 21:18:56 EDT

I sent an inquiry on this topic to the 'hegel-marx' yahoo group
earlier today (reproduced below).  Here is Andy Blunden's reply.

Michael Inwood's "Hegel Dictionary" has an extensive entry
on "Representation and Conception", in German more or less "vorstellung"
and "Begriff". He mentions the difference between vorstellung and
darstellung as follows:

"The verb vostellen, literally 'to put forward, in front of', is used
of introducing or presentin something, usually a person, to another
person, and of representing something in e.g., Art (usually in less
detail than is implied by darstellen, which also means 'to [re]present,
exhibit'.) ..."

MIA provides parallel German and English texts of the Phenomenology.

http://www.marxists.org/deutsch/philosophie/hegel/phaenom/kap2.htm#p12
2 (meaning para 122 of the German edition) links to
http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/ph/phab.htm#m122

and here darstellt is translated "presenting itself to consciousness"

http://www.marxists.org/deutsch/philosophie/hegel/phaenom/kap3.htm#p13
5 (meaning para 122 of the German edition) links to
http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/ph/phac.htm#m135

where I think darstellen is being used in the sense of "taking a
shape".

that'll get you started anyway!

Andy Blunden

--