Re: [OPE-L] [Fwd: Re: [OPE-L] basics vs. non-basics and financial services]

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 11:26:13 EDT

At 11:35 AM +0100 10/4/05, Paul Cockshott wrote:

>I agree that mature capitalist economies can have a tendancy to spiral
>into unemployment, and that the expenditure of the state on  weapons
>can prevent this. But it prevents unemployment by at the same time
>preventing accumulation and shifting the economy from expanded to simple
>reproduction.

Not following. Prevents higher levels of employment? And how is the
state preventing accumulation if the economy is already spiralling
into unemployment as a result of slow down in accumulation? Or are
you saying that the state causes that downward spiral by, say,
regressive taxes or the coddling of labor? Were Thatcher and Reagan
right?

rb