Re: [OPE-L] price of production/supply price/value

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 06:47:11 EST

Hi Paul,

As you say, there are other scalars that exercise constraints...
thousands of them. The point is they cannot be *meaningfully* or
'rationally' or 'really' combined into a *single* scalar [though they of
course can be formally, as you do for your empirical work]. They
constitute a large matrix. Labour input is different in part because of
the first reason you mention (it inputs into all production processes)
but fundamentally because it is the sole determinant of the available
production time to a society. The total available labour time to a
society, for any given time period, is the sole determinant of the total
available production time that the society has to allocate in that
period. This is a general time cost and is a scalar. One way I have put
this is that available production time cost is a general cost, a general
aspect of all other costs. All these other costs are particular and
individual costs (oil cost, steel cost etc.)

Many thanks

Andy