Re: [OPE-L] price of production/supply price/value

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 04:39:44 EST

Hi Ian,

There are two completely *separate* points - trying to link them has caused confusion.

(1) Steedman's own theory of the relation, or lack thereof, between labour-time and price:

Here the problem was that he can't both claim labour is derivative of profit and claim that labour and price have no necessary relation. Now you have clarified that it is a 'weak' relation, a side-effect.

(2) The refutation of the Neo-R critique of the LTV:

This rests on the propostion that social reproduction requires labour, and its product, to be allocated in certain proportions. The set of feasible proportions is certainly large but much smaller than that of non-feasible proportions. These proportions can only be met if exchange of products is bounded by limits set by SNLT. If they aren't the economy collapses. I don't have to 'show' anything more than this to refute Steedman. However we can fruitfullly ask why he has been led astray, and how labour-times actually take effect. The answer lies, inter alia, in the fact that he deals with the static case. If you look at the dynamic case then it becomes much clearer how labour-time keeps prices in check: whenever capital tries to move away from the source of its life-blood, surplus value production, it finds it cannot do so, in crisis. Maybe a primitive mathematical way of putting it is that the effect of growth rates serves to magnify that of levels, yet the static case examines only the latter. What look like wide and trivial limts in levels suddenly become narrow and constraing limits once growth rates are studied (cumulative causation). By 'growth' I mean changes cause by new investment through time, not 'steady state growth' (which is not really growth at all).

An aside re. simplest vs more complex cases: For me the simplest case is where the value and price of inputs is held constant through the transformation (the OCC case, not VCC case, employing Fine/Sadd-Filho interpretation of Marx's definitions), where conservation laws hold perfectly at the aggregate level, as shown in vol 3 ch 9.

Many thanks

Andy