Re: [OPE-L] price of production/value

From: Fred Moseley (fmoseley@MTHOLYOKE.EDU)
Date: Sat Feb 11 2006 - 10:16:40 EST

Hi Paul, thank for your message of last Monday, which I seem to have
deleted by mistake.

You said:

"I agree that the Sraffian theory oversimplifies in this area [the
"harvest" method].  However, one could recast all of it in terms of rates
of flow but it is not clear that this would invalidate the result that
prices of production could be deduced independently of recourse to labor
values."

I don't deny that in Sraffian theory prices of production can be deduced
independently of labor values.  Rather, I argue that this conclusion has
nothing to do with Marx's theory, because Marx's theory is based on an
entirely different logical method, and it follows from Marx's logical
method that prices of production cannot be deduced independently of
values.

Paul, would you please send me references of Sraffian works that reject
Sraffa's "harvest" method and reformulate the theory in terms of unequal
turnover times and exchanges at different points in time.  I don't see how
these points could be made consistent with the reproduction of the same
physical quantities, period after period.

Thanks very much.

Comradely,
Fred