[OPE-L] Quesnay

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2006 - 08:59:51 EDT

>Jerry, the point I made was in a particular context.
>The context was the possible influence of the
>Physiocracy on Marx's theoretical framework in
>CAPITAL. Now the most original contribution of the
>Physiocrats (particularly Quesnay) was the notion of
>'surplus'.

Yes indeed the importance of the French Confucius.

Equally important as surplus is reproduction, the theorization of
production and circulation as constrained by the need to produce
again, no? As John Torrance shows (Marx's Theory of Ideas), the idea
of self constraining production as ontologically fundamental can be
found in the early Marx but his early ideas are vague. And no where
near as analytically breathtaking as the Physiocratic theory with its
political implications of wu-wei.

As a student of Sraffa, wouldn't you consider the discoveries of
surplus and reproduction equally important?

It's also only with the reproduction schema that Marx shows that his
science is possible because it does indeed have an actual object
capable of  reproduction through time, the capitalist mode of
production. Otherwise there would be no object with enough integrity
and coherence of which to theorize the laws of motion! In this sense
the second volume of Capital is scientifically fundamental, the
bedrock of the entire theoretical venture. And it is also of course
the least studied volume.

rb