Re: [OPE-L] marx's conception of labour

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2006 - 17:57:52 EST

In your article you also say:

Deshalb erachtet Marx den Tauschwert als eine nur der kapitalistischen Produktionsweise eigentümliche Kategorie.

or

Therefore, Marx considers exchange value a category particular only the capitalistic mode of production.

There has been extensive debate on this topic on the list over the years. I would tend to argue that Marx, certainly by the time he wrote his Notes on Wagner, considered 'exchange value' to be a category specific to 'commodity producing society', but that he distinguished between value as such and its form of appearance in commercial society as 'exchange value' or price. Exchange value however, as both Smith and Marx knew,  existed prior to capitalism, and value considered as socially necessary labour time, would persist after commodity production had been superceded - as is made clear in the Critique of the Gotha Program.