Re: [OPE-L] marx's conception of labour

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2006 - 17:57:51 EST

You say of Marx;s conception of teleology:

it admittedly has a certain correspondence in Aristotles´ conception of Dynamics, it can therefore not be equated with Aristotles. immanent, even virtually biologically well-founded Teleology, however. Neither  nature nor  history can have a purpose of itself according to Marx. It is  human beings, that can give them  sense only through their conscious activity.

Dogan

What is your take on Daniel Dennet's take on the materialist foundations of intentionality in the survival needs of biological organisms - deriving it ultimately from the conditions of continued reproduction ( see Darwin's Dangerous Idea, by Dennet)?

How would you relate the issue of teleology to Boltzmann's problem of the 'arrow of time'?