Re: [OPE-L] Marx on invisible hand

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2006 - 09:38:26 EST

> Jerry, I should have said that in my pervious email. Further thoughts on this issue will follow.

Hi Dogan:

Take you time.  It's not exactly a 'time-sensitive', urgent issue.

> I have been reading in Capital and Grundrisse on this. I agree with you on this and there
> is textual edidence. But I think Marx intends to develop his theory of the tendency for
> the general rate of profit to decline (LTGRPD) to criticise the whole of political economy
>  - even of his days'.

I'm sure you're right about this.  But, I don't recall discussion in the history of
thought and/or Marxian literature on how the LTGRPD could be thought of,
*in part*, as an implicit critique of the Smithian invisible hand doctrine.  Of
course, there may have been (and I may have read it years ago) but -- if so --
I don't remember it.  I raised the issue, as an aside,  on OPE-L many years ago,
but no one bit.

In solidarity, Jerry