Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2007 - 12:13:07 EDT

>Quoting Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU>:
>
>>2. Given Marx's emphasis on regular changes in prices of production, he
>>would not have thought that the prices of production which governed the
>>prices of the inputs could have been the same as the prices of production
>>which he derives for the outputs. So even if one thinks Marx left the
>>inputs in the form of values or simple prices, there is no evidence that
>>he was calling for a vector of equilibrium prices in the specific sense of
>>same prices for the inputs and outputs. Indeed the chapter as a whole
>>indicates that Marx would have rejected the equilibrium idea that prices
>>of production do not change interperiodically. To judge Marx on the
>>neoclassical equilibrium terrain is to impose foreign standards on him,
>>not to judge him on his own terms. Marx cannot be said to have called for
>>the neoclassical equilibrium test which he then fails. But that is how it
>>is presented in almost every account of Marxian economics. Take Heinz
>>Kurz's entry on value in The Radical Political Economy entry, ed. by
>>Malcolm Saywer as just one of countless examples. Some radical political
>>economy! Though that point of view is vociferously defended on this list;
>>unfortunately I have been disallowed with the AC's approval from replying
>>directly.
>
>Hi Rakesh,
>
>Which passages in particular in Chapter 9 do you think indicate that
>Marx was assuming continuous changes in values in each industry, period
>after period?
>
>It seems to me that in these few pages at the end of Chapter 9 Marx is
>making the theoretical point that, even though prices of production are
>not proportional to values, prices of production are nonetheless
>ultimately determined by values, and that changes in prices of
>production are ultimately caused by changes in values, either in the
>given industry or in industries that produce means of production for
>this industry.  I don’t see any suggestion that he is assuming that
>such changes of values happen continuously, period after period, in
>each industry.

Right but Marx emphasizes here that prices of
production do not always change in the long term.

But let me take the undisputed point first. The
fact that the average rate of profit only changes
in the long term actively misleads capitalists as
to what the consequences of  productivity growth
are in those branches undergoing at any time the
most explosive growth. In other words, the type
of thought typical of active capitalists does not
allow them to penetrate beyond the appearances to
the essences of modern society, for a grasp of
the whole is the condition of knowledge, and this
is simply incompatible with rationality in the
form of rationalization concerned only with the
maximization of profits (I draw here from
Rockmore's summary of Lukacs).

So here is a crucial paragraph from this ninth
chapter in terms of Marx's holistic epistemology,
i.e. the idea that a grasp of the whole is the
condition of knowledge and that capitalists are
constitutively incapable of such grasp though the
kind of rationality  we have is shaped by their
narrow interests:

The theoretical conception concerning the first
transformation of surplus-value into profit, that
every part of a capital yields a uniform profit,
expresses a practical fact. Whatever the
composition of an industrial capital, whether it
sets in motion one quarter of congealed labour
and three-quarters of living labour, or
three-quarters of congealed labour and
one-quarter of living labour, whether in one case
it absorbs three times as much surplus-labour, or
produces three times as much surplus-value than
in another - in either case it yields the same
profit, given the same degree of labour
exploitation and leaving aside individual
differences, which, incidentally, disappear
because we are dealing in both cases with the
average composition of the entire sphere of
production. The individual capitalist (or all the
capitalists in each individual sphere of
production), whose outlook is limited, rightly
believes that his profit is not derived solely
from the labour employed by him, or in his line
of production. This is quite true, as far as his
average profit is concerned. To what extent this
profit is due to the aggregate exploitation of
labour on the part of the total social capital,
i. e., by all his capitalist colleagues - this
interrelation is a complete mystery to the
individual capitalist; all the more so, since no
bourgeois theorists, the political economists,
have so far revealed it. A saving of labour - not
only labour necessary to produce a certain
product, but also the number of employed
labourers - and the employment of more congealed
labour (constant capital), appear to be very
sound operations from the economic standpoint and
do not seem to exert the least influence on the
general rate of profit and the average profit.
How could living labour be the sole source of
profit, in view of the fact that a reduction in
the quantity of labour required for production
appears not to exert any influence on profit?
Moreover, it even seems in certain circumstances
to be the nearest source of an increase of
profits, at least for the individual capitalist.

  The philosophical significance of this chapter
is rather breath-taking once one understands
Marx's views of  holistic epistemology (and the
implicit critique of the capitalist perversion of
rationality) and  real contradiction (the
contradiction between the law of value and the
equalization of the profit rate as a real
contradiction of generalized commodity capitalist
production, a real contradiction between social
production and private profit resulting in the
mediation of the price of production which raises
the class struggle to a social level).

Most of the readings we have of the
transformation problem are quite flat footed as
if the problem were well understood as as a
problem of algebra.

Now to where we disagree.

In terms less than required for depressions in
the average rate of profit to register,  we
should assume that the change in pop was
occasioned not by a change in the general rate of
profit but by a change in the value of the
commodity itself, and since the value of the
commodity can change in consequence of technical
changes within its own sphere as well as in
consequence of a change in the value of those
commodities which form the elements of its
constant capital,  unit values will likely tend
to change before, say, the means of production
have been amortized or scrapped. That is, for the
prices of production to change, there need not be
ceaseless productivity growth in its own branch
but only in one of the branches producing its
means of production. This makes it likely that
reductions in unit value are quite frequent.

Moreover, when, how often and as a result of what
do you think prices of production change?

Importantly, RIcardo himself thought that unit
values were changing very regularly as I have
shown and Ricardo of course had not yet
assimilated the consequences of large scale
industry.

Rakesh

ps sorry not to have replied to Dogan's question
about my own query about Althusser's critique of
Hegel. I of course had the essays in For Marx in
mind, but there are other important essays as
well. And it will take me time.