Re: [OPE-L] Reliability of price channel - personal computer industry

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2007 - 18:09:44 EDT

No, the one I did was for the US market and I licensed it to Centronic ( a printer company )
who were going to use it there. We selected a Hungarian designed 3 inch disk which was
in competition with the sony and hitachi ones. The Hungarian one never caught on in
competition with the others. Just after our disk was launched in the USA Sinclair withdrew
from the market and Centronic reneged on their royalties.

Never had much success with marketing inventions. The Orange video phone, which was the
first on the market used some of my patents, but it turned out that they just wanted
to announce it to boost their sale price before they floated and never put it into
general production. It is hard to take an invention and turn it into a successfull firm
unless you are willing to commit yourself wholehartedly to capitalism.
The difference is that the Apple guys wanted to be capitalists
and went out and set up a company, I wanted to be an intellectual and did not
want to commit myself to a life of running a company.
Paul Cockshott

www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~wpc