Re: [OPE-L] Reclaiming Marx's "Capital": book launch talks, reviews, media coverage

From: Philip Dunn (hyl0morph@YAHOO.CO.UK)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2007 - 16:49:50 EDT

On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 12:12 +0200, Jurriaan Bendien wrote:
> The problem at issue is whether all profit is exclusively due to surplus
> labour, and thinking economists say no, because profits can arise simply in
> buying and selling already existing assets.

The problem at issue is whether such profits are surplus labour, not
whether they are due to surplus labour. I do not regard labour as a
cause or source of value or surplus value. Labour and value are
identical. Further, surplus labour only exists as money profits and the
value of these profits is the surplus labour.

>From this identity theory perspective it does not matter how profits
arise.

The thinking economist could take on board the possibility that profits
that arise simply in buying and selling of already existing assets can
be theorised as surplus labour.