Re: [OPE-L] Truncating Marx's "Capital"

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 11:03:06 EDT

Jerry, I think where Kliman (and the TSSI in general) has advanced
Marxian theoryis that they have challenged the dominant interpretation
that Marx's theory is based on simultaneous determination (of input
prices and output prices and the rate of profit), and suggested an
alternative "temporal" determination.  I don't agree with them in some
respects, but I think that
this is a crucial issue to raise, and they have been the ones to raise it.

===============

Fred:

Well, I don't think that raising a "crucial issue" is in itself an advance
in Marxian theory. The question is whether you or others accept the
specific answers and alternatives that they have offered. Simply stating
truisms about the need for non-linear dynamic theory isn't by itself an
advance in theory.  Kliman and Freeman are good in terms of "talking the
talk" about the need for this but "where is the beef"?

In any event - as Kliman himself highlights - their analysis is limited
essential to hermeneutics, especially hermeneutic issues associated with
interpreting Marx's quantitative theory.

The huge departure that Kliman makes from Marx can be seen in his slogan:
for Marx, "the point" was to understand and change the world; for Kliman
"the point" is to "interpret Marx correctly".  The first is a scientific
stance, the later is an appropriate stance for dogmatists.

In solidarity, Jerry