Re: [OPE-L] models with unequal turnover periods

From: Ian Hunt (ian.hunt@FLINDERS.EDU.AU)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2007 - 01:17:28 EDT

Dear Fred,
It is what Medio does. Brody shows that inputs can be measured in the
quantities of any basic good and doesn't think there is any decisive
reason for favouring value as the units. My view is that value is
favoured because control and discipline of social labour is in all
industries a crucial component of social relations of production.

In the simple case, assuming one technique of production of
production and no fixed capital or joint products you can get the
value units from the equation l = A l + L. You can get the value
units in more complicated cases, but they will depend on expectations
of profitable lifetimes of machines (to get the flow of value from
fixed capital) and prices of products for dividing the value of
output between joint products. In my view, price and value are
mutually dependent and I do not try to show that there is a one way
dependency with prices depending on values.  The only sense in which
value is fundamental in my view is that discipline of labour is
fundamental to social relations of production.

Sraffa was engaged in a different exercise from regarding the
division of social labour as the the basis of laws of development of
commodity production (He was interested in the inverse dependence of
the rate of profit on wages rather than laws of development)
Cheers,
Ian

--
Associate Professor Ian Hunt,
Dept  of Philosophy, School of Humanities,