Re: [OPE-L] Incoherence of the TSSI - consensus?

From: Anders Ekeland (anders.ekeland@ONLINE.NO)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2007 - 15:21:59 EDT

Dear Gary,

We seem to agree that you could have chosen a less provocative title,
but on the other hand the TSSI'ers should not let themselves be provoked.

Regarding the substantial issues - what kind of models are
appropriate for discussing ("proving") exploitation - that for me is
still an open question, but I have started to question the
fruitfulness of Smith/Ricardo - and to a certain extent Marx' use of
"long term equilibrium" when analyzing a system where technological
change - driven by competition is the main feature of the system.
Sorry not to be more advanced on this point.

I am no expert on the relationship between Smith, Ricardo and Marx,
but that is not that straight forward, i.e it changes like Marx view
of subsistence wages - the implications of which IMO Marx did not
discuss at length ASFAIK.

Regarding dynamics - where analytical solutions are impossible,
simulation can bee a tool, maybe we can learn something from Malerba
et al. "History friendly models". (Franco Malerba, Richard Nelson,
Luigi Orsenigo and Sidney Winter (2001) History-Friendly models: An
overview of the case of the Computer Industry Journal of Artificial
Societies and Social Simulation vol. 4, no. 3,)

Again - I will come back to these issues when I have more substantial
things to say.

Regards
Anders