Re: [OPE-L] Incoherence of the TSSI - consensus?

From: Ian Wright (wrighti@ACM.ORG)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2007 - 18:59:18 EDT

Gary, without a theory of economic value that relates monetary
magnitudes to some substance of value, the quantitative extent of
exploitation cannot even be discussed or measured. This is one
substantive difference between the Marxist and surplus-school approach
to exploitation, since the latter lacks any theory of value.

I agree that it is a `simple fact' that a cake gets divided between
classes. We don't need theory to make this observation. But your claim
that capitalists are nonproductive, and that this division therefore
represents an injustice, begs the question. As you know, theories of
economic value have traditionally been employed to affirm or deny
this. For example, Marx talks of uncovering the "secret" of capitalist
profit by using the LTV to demonstrate what capitalist profits
actually represent, their true 'substance'.

I have trouble imagining how it is possible to objectively discuss
distributional justice without a theory of economic value. Otherwise
we have different classes with their contending claims, all of which
are 'simply one way to look at what is going on'.