Re: [OPE-L] Incoherence of the TSSI - consensus?

From: Gary Mongiovi (MONGIOVG@STJOHNS.EDU)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2007 - 17:19:38 EDT

But you're presuming that exploitation HAS a quantitative substance, and that it is useful to talk about that quantitative dimension. You're also assuming that value has some intrinsic "substance"--that it must be something more than the ratios at which goods may be exchanged for one other.

Disagreements about what is just ought to hinge on ethical premises, not on differences about how the world objectively works--though of course it is not always easy to keep the two things separate. You refer to the use of value theories to justify some position or another on economic justice. When neoclassical economists claim that markets produce just outcomes because they remunerate resource owners at rates corresponding to productive contributions, they are making a number of mistakes. They are assuming that remuneration according to productive contribution is just; they are assuming that the mere ownership of a productive resource creates a claim in justice on the whatever value that resource generates. But is it any different to attach the label "exploitation" to one of the preconditions for profit?

Gary