Re: [OPE-L] accumulation of capital and the working class - actual non existence of variable capital

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 03:46:22 EST

I understand your general point about wages being paid after the work is done but before
sale of the product. The example that occurs to me, working in glasgow, is a shipyard.
You see the part completed ship on the stocks for ages before it is launched. Obviously
Govan Shipbuilders pay their workers before the ship is actually sold, but they
already have a (half complete) product by then. Suppose they want to sell the shipyard,
then the half complete ship for a customer will be valued at millions of pounds.

The issue here relates to turnover not to the distinction between variable and constant
capital.

A firm running a whiskey bond is in a similar situation. They buy barrels of raw spirit
and store them for 7 years to mature, but at any point they could sell the barrels
at a higher price than they bought them.

In the shipyard there has already been a flow of value from the workers to the employers
well before the ship is finally sold, it is just that this value is not normally expressed
in an actual transaction, it is there nonetheless, as any accountant doing the shipyard
accounts would make evident.

Paul Cockshott
Dept of Computing Science
University of Glasgow