Re: [OPE-L] accumulation of capital and the working class - actual non existence of variable capital

From: Ian Hunt (ian.hunt@FLINDERS.EDU.AU)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2008 - 19:53:51 EST

Dear Jerry,
I'm not sure I follow your point below: Let s = 10, s = v = 80, and u
= 2. Then s-u/(c+v) =10%,  s-u/(s+v+u) = 9.75% , while s/(c+v+u) =
12.2%. It might be thought that employment of unproductive labour is
not such a drag on profit rates as might be implied by the deduction
from surplus value view (especially in the form where K includes
extra variable capital to pay unproductive workers), since
capitalists are not all that markedly reluctant to employ
unproductive labour. This would tell in favour of the extra cost
versions rather than the surplus deduction one. On the other hand,
there might be other merits of that view or it might be thought that
capitalists  are especially reluctant to employ them,
Cheers,
Ian

--
Associate Professor Ian Hunt,
Dept  of Philosophy, School of Humanities,