RE: [OPE] How to read Capital

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 05:52:55 EDT

Dogan
--------

Marx speaks elsewhere of commodity as a *cell* or (perhaps) *cell-form* of capitalist mode of production, I think, which I cant find just now. In above-quote Marx is suggesting that to understand the contradictory nature of the wealth of capitalist mode of production we have to analyse the contradictory nature of an, say, abstract commodity. After having analysed the contradictory nature of a commodity in the first section he makes in the first paragraph of the second section following statement:
 Karl
 ----
"At first sight a commodity presented itself to us as a complex of two
things - use value and exchange value. Later on, we saw also that
labour, too, possesses the same twofold nature; for, so far as it finds
expression in value, it does not possess the same characteristics that
belong to it as a creator of use values. I was the first to point out
and to examine critically this twofold nature of the labour contained
in commodities. As this point is the pivot on which a clear
comprehension of political economy turns, we must go more into detail."
Dogan
-----
I highlighted the word *complex* and *twofold nature* of the labour because  I am not sure whether the translation gives  the right meaning of what Marx says in German edition. In German edition he uses the word "Zwieschlächtiges" and "zwieschlächtige Natur". These expressions imply the concept of contradiction. In the original version it reads as follows:
Karl
----
"Ursprünglich erschien uns die Ware als ein Zwieschlächtiges,
Gebrauchswert und Tauschwert. Später zeigte sich, daß auch die Arbeit,
soweit sie im Wert ausgedrückt ist, nicht mehr dieselben Merkmale
besitzt, die ihr als Erzeugerin von Gebrauchswerten zukommen. Diese
zwieschlächtige Natur der in der Ware enthaltenen Arbeit ist zuerst von
mir kritisch nachgewiesen worden.(12)
Da dieser Punkt der Springpunkt ist, um den sich das Verständnis der
politischen Ökonomie dreht, soll er hier näher beleuchtet werden."

Paul
----
This of course was a paraphrase of Aristotle's ideas.

Dogan
-----

Please bear in mind that Marx speaks of commodity as an ensemble of social relations.

Paul
----
Where?

Dogan
-----

(Bear also in mind how  he explains the genesis of money as form of social relation.)

Paul
----
Marx's explanation of money as a generalisation arising out of barter is really pretty conventional
in economics, as I understand it Menger gives the same explanation. If one contrasts it with
actual existing money then there are problems, and these problems, I think, illustrate the
difficulties with applying a dialectical deductive approach. Real existing monies are all
issued by the state, but since the state can not be deduced from the commodity, Marx can not
allow the state a causitive role in money. This then renders contemporary money, or Chinese
Imperial money unintelligible. We end up with Newtonian rationalism and eurocentric prejudice
being disguised as dialectical development.

Dogan
-----
The production of commodity requires already division of labour, i.e. the separation of labour from the means of production.

Paul
----
Not at all. Surely as a Smith scholar you can see that Smith recognised the division of labour but did
not consider that this entailed the separation of labour from the means of production -- indeed
practical experience of the 18th century economy would have made that idea seem absurd.

0s
Dogan
-----
This turns the labour into commodity too. This, in turn brings, brings the relationship of labour and capital into existence.

Paul
----
This is the sleight of hand or dialectical conceit that I was sceptical of in an earlier post.
What you present as a logical development was actually a long historical process that only
at particular times and under particular historical circumstances -- primarily in Britain and
the Netherlands initially -- led to this occuring. Marx recognises this, and devotes the
chapter on primitive accumulation examining it.

There was a long scholarly debate between marxist historians about this during the 1950s and 196os.

Dogan
-----
So when Marx speaks of mutual negative relationship of use-value and exchange-value he speaks at the same time of the contradictory relationship of labour and capital, or if you like, one can say that the contradictory relationship of labour and capital is already contained in the *zwieschlächtige Natur* of commodities, which is also expresses itself in the contraditory relationship between concrete and abstract labour.

Paul
----
I dont think he actually does that. I think you are projecting that onto him in order to justify
your hypothesis about dialectical development.

Note that this is not to deny that simple rules or relations can give complex results -- what
complexity theorists term 'emergence'. Wolfram's last book is devoted to arguing this case,
with some plausibility I think.