Re: [OPE] Mastering Marxian Economics

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@kth.se)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 10:04:39 EDT

GERALD LEVY wrote:
> No,  I was _not_ using VLP in the sense of (b). You wrote previously
> of (b) that it is a "more general and historically invariant concept".
> I do not conceive of the VLP (or value, SNLT, and labour power
> as a commodity) as a trans-historical concept and this constitutes one
> of the major theoretical disagreements that I have with you (and
> Paul C and Allin and ....).  What is crucial from my perspective is
> that these concepts are specific to the CMP and a particular form of
> labor.

Ok. You agree that "the *total* labour necessary to reproduce the
capacity to work" is a general concept.

What precisely is your VLP then? Labour-power as a commodity is one
historically specific concept, i.e. it does not apply in say feudalism.
However, from your previous exchanges your VLP seems to boils down to
"the social labour necessary to reproduce the capacity to work", which
is nothing but a subset of the labour above. What is the historical
specific part here?

 From a scientific point of view I cannot really understand your major
theoretical disagreement. Of course, certain objects of study require
specific concepts, but scientific practice opts for concepts that allow
us to generalize and compare objects. A comparative historical
understanding requires general concepts such as "class", "surplus
labour", "relations of production" etc. For instance, the social labour
time necessary to reproduce some use-value sets a general constraint on
any society not merely capitalist societies.

It is precisely through historically invariant concepts that we can get
a better understanding of what is historically specific to capitalism.
Isn't there an analogous case in biology?

//Dave Z