Re: [OPE] Mastering Marxian Economics

From: Gerald Levy (jerry_levy@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 10:11:26 EDT

> Ok. You agree that "the *total* labour necessary to reproduce the capacity
> to work" is a general concept.
> What precisely is your VLP then? Labour-power as a commodity is one
> historically specific concept, i.e. it does not apply in say feudalism.
> However, from your previous exchanges your VLP seems to boils down to "the
> social labour necessary to reproduce the capacity to work", which is
> nothing but a subset of the labour above. What is the historical specific
> part here?

Hi Dave Z:

The historically specific part refers  to capitalism and the relation
between
capital and wage-labor.

> From a scientific point of view I cannot really understand your major
> theoretical disagreement. Of course, certain objects of study require
> specific concepts, but scientific practice opts for concepts that allow us
> to generalize and compare objects.

Science also cautions against over-reaching and over-generalization.

> A comparative historical understanding requires general concepts such as
> "class", "surplus labour", "relations of production" etc.

Yes, that's true. Certain concepts have trans-historical applicability
while others are specific to a specific mode of production.

> It is precisely through historically invariant concepts that we can get a
> better understanding of what is historically specific to capitalism. Isn't
> there an analogous case in biology?

Yes. The anatomy of an ape can't be deduced from the anatomy of
a worm.