[OPE] dialectical political economy

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Fri Dec 05 2008 - 09:38:52 EST

> People can label my work whatever they think fit,

Hi Michael W:

Is that because:

(a) you don't like being labeled?
(b) you don't think that the labels per se are that important?
(c) you simply want to leave it up to the reader to make that decision?
(d) all of the above?
(e) none of the above? Rather, the reasons are: ________________ (please specify)

> but first they would need to become familiar with it ... .

I'm familiar with it (but maybe not the latest writings?).

Geert and you characterize your joint work as "dialectical political economy"
(_Value-Form and the State_, Routledge, 1989, p. xx). "Dialectical systematic
theory" is another designation you use.

I would say, in addition, that your work might be called "Marx-inspired" rather
than simply "Marxist". Of course, there were many other "inspirations" for
your work as well - most notably, Hegel and prior value-form theorists - but
the expression "Marx-inspired" conveys an attitude to the subject matter, i.e.
that you do not _simply_ seek to repeat and re-phrase the writings of Marx
and/or other Marxists. Actually, I rather like this aspect of your scholarly work.