Re: [OPE] value-form theory redux

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Sun Mar 15 2009 - 12:50:32 EDT

Paul Cockshott wrote:
> I think Kantorovich demonstrated pretty clearly that such commensurability is possible in the absence of commodities and commodity production and that it arises not from anything subjective but from the objective properties of the technology and labour processes that are available at any given instant.

Were his 'objectively determined valuations' multipliers in the
programming problem?

The introduction to your paper is worthwhile quoting in the context of VFT:

    [I]n the 1930s (say) one might have expected the "typical" young
    Marxist intellectual to have a scientific training or at least to
    have general respect for scientific method by the turn of the
    century one would be hard pressed to find a young Marxist
    intellectual (in the dominant Western countries) whose background
    was not in sociology, accountancy, continental philosophy, or
    perhaps some "soft" (quasi-philosophical) form of economics, and who
    was not profoundly sceptical of (while also ignorant of) current
    science. Unlike that Western Marxist tradition we have to treat
    political economy and the theory of social revolution like any other
    science. We must formulate testable hypotheses, which we then assess
    against empirical data. Where the empirical results differ from what
    we expected, we must modify and retest our theories.

//Dave Z