[OPE] California redux

From: Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@telfort.nl>
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 17:52:15 EDT

Time Magazine has an article on why California is still tops:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1931582,00.html

Presumably the reality is somewhere midway between the Guardian article and
this, i.e. California has difficulty in relativising itself... According to
the article,

"California still has an enviably young and productive workforce. And it's
still a magnet for dice-rolling dreamers who want to start anew, make money
and change the world, with or without pants. "I see my own pattern repeated
again and again - people who want to invent the future and aren't afraid to
fail," says billionaire Silicon Valley financier Vinod Khosla, an Indian
immigrant who helped found Sun Microsystems and recently unveiled a $1.1
billion venture fund for investments in clean technology."

So what's the real lowdown on this assertion? Any takes from Californians?

J.