Re: SV: [OPE] Sraffa's and others' writing style

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 11:22:21 EST

Anders Ekeland wrote:

> The transformation problem - the relation between money and value - is a real one - for all schools in
> economics. [...]
>
> Was it Sraffa's intention to critize this Smith/Ricardo/Marx idea [of centres of gravitation]?

Historians of economic thought may correct me if I'm wrong, but think
the first statement is a mischaracterisation. The transformation
problem relevant to Marxist economics is much more specific than "the
relation between money and value". It is about reconciling the labour
theory of value with the theory of production prices within a
deterministic framework.

Secondly, I doubt whether it was Pierro Sraffa's intention to
criticise the classical idea of centre of gravitation. The subtitle of
his was a "Prelude to a Critique of Economic Theory", which I take to
mean neoclassical economics. Hence it is not so much a theory about
real world dynamics than a critique. Given his interest in Ricardo I
would assume he was close to Marxian economics.

//Dave Z