RE: [OPE] Britain--parasitic and decaying capitalism: A comment

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue Dec 29 2009 - 18:45:36 EST

" But if you look at Hobson's and Lenin's books they investigate and analyse the whole internal structure of capital, society and the state: rise of monopolies, merge of industrial and bank capital and domination of financial capital, the end of democracy and accomplishment of the division of the world and so on."

But look at these points: the tendancy towards centralisation of capital is general not specifically imperialist, and such centralisation as is now occuring via multi-national companies fits in better with Kautskys ultra imperialism than Hobsons model, albeit that the criticism of Kautsky in 1916 was valid then.

Merger of industrial and bank capital was a specfically german phenomenon, not characteristic of the UK or USA.

What end of democracy ?

If you are talking about the 1920s ok, but now? In the EU or USA or Japan?