Re: [OPE] Britain--parasitic and decaying capitalism: A comment

From: <david@danyaf.plus.com>
Date: Wed Dec 30 2009 - 06:13:35 EST

Callinicos in his appallingly written book on Imperialism and global
political economy actually denies the existence of imperialism. I am
considering writing a review but the book is so bad.
This is a comment about it that I wrote to some comrades:

'I have just read Callinicos's book on holiday - it is appalling. It is not
about imperialism but rather denying the essence of imperialism and arguing
essentially about whether their rather successful lives could be upset or
not by inter-imperialist rivalries. Okay for the present, it appears as
Europe has not the military capacity to confront the US and China has some
way to go. The book is an attack on Lenin's theory of imperialism, denies
parasitism or the super-exploitation of the underdeveloped world and says
for example that workers in the developed world are more exploited than
those in the 'Third World'. It rejects the division of the world into
oppressor and oppressed nations and believes poverty and inequality have
grown because the imperialist nations have bypassed the oppressed nations
not plundered and looted them. It is an appalling academic tract
(incomprehensible in places) with 58 pages of footnotes in a book of 227
pages of written text, with references to mainly other academics and his
jet setting mates who write for Historical Materialism. The book has
nothing about the revolutionary process developing in South America etc and
you would never guess he lives in the most parasitic capitalist country in
the world - nothing on this.'

I can see why Dave Z and others like his contribution - it is right up
their street. But the gloves have to come off. The issue is too important
for humanity to tolerate Callinicos's reactionary standpoint and allow him
to pose as some kind of revolutionary.

David Yaffe